Thursday, August 13, 2009

MC’s Candy Corner

On the month of July year 2009, there was a small change in the MC cafeteria. One day, when my friends and I were about to enter the cafeteria, there was a loud noise coming from the right side of the door. Oops, of course, that’s not something new in the cafeteria but when I followed the loud noise, I saw these bunch of people crowded on one side of the cafeteria and the only thing I remembered with that side of the cafeteria was that, that’s the place where the garbage is placed. And oh, that’s something new in the cafeteria. I couldn’t imagine. Were those people crowded in that are just to throw their own trashes? Wow! That’s really something new. So my friend and I got curious and went near the corner, and do you know what we saw?




There were a lot of colorful candies and chocolates. People were buying here and there as if it’s the first and last day of that stall in our cafeteria, and there we are craving for the yummy sweets. So I’ve got the chance to talk with the owner of that new candy stall in our cafeteria. At first I was hesitant to approach her because a friend of mine told me that she had an experience with that same person that’s not so good. She said that the owner of the candy stall was snobbish and all. But then, that doesn’t stop me from approaching her, so I tried. When I went to the candy stall, the three vendors with a face mask were entertaining me. When I saw the owner sitting behind the stall, I called her. “Miss.. hi Miss, can I interview you for a while and ask some questions regarding your business?” And then she immediately said YES. We sat on the near table and so I started my interview.


Her name is Sarah Jane Atencio. She was only 25 years old. This candy stall, according to her was actually her first time to do a business and by her own. She finished her college degree in the states. She studied in British Columbia Institute of Technology in Vancouver, Canada wherein she took up Digital Animation. She said that she also took up Graphic Designs in Ateneo de Manila University. Maybe you’re wondering why her business was not related with the course that she took up. When I asked her, she said that it’s because she’s still applying for a job and while waiting for it, she established her own business first. When I asked her why did she choose that kind of business, the only explanation I got from her was that during her childhood years, she likes to eat candies just like any child. Her business started with only the candies and then later on added the different food like nuts, chocolates, pop corn and others. The candies that they’re selling were actually from Candy Corner but they’ve got a different name for her business. The name of her little store is “It’s a Kendi World” with the letter K written inversely. Since it’s her first time to do a business, I asked her why did she choose the Miriam College cafeteria for her business. She told me that it’s because she also studied gradeschool in Miriam and her friends were the officials of the school.

I find Ms. Sarah interesting that’s why she’s the one I interviewed because her stall was newest one inside the cafeteria and even if her stall is new, many people are patronizing her products. It was also the first time that a candy stall was built in the cafeteria. In my three years of stay in Miriam, I was able to observe the new stalls being built in the cafeteria and most of them didn’t sell. They weren’t able to compete with the old stalls already there and in a few months, they are already closing there stalls. But this candy stall of Ms. Sarah is different. Until now a lot of students are still buying in her stall. I must say that her business was a click. It was very successful. Though it was just her first time in doing a business and she doesn’t even have anyone helping her out in this business, she still made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what's your say?